Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- A peek at Panini’s 2013 Cooperstown Collection
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Hellickson leaves game with leg injury
Posted Jun 30, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jun 30, 2012 at 08:36 PM
ST. PETERSBURG Rays pitcher Jeremy Hellickson, activated from the disabled list this afternoon, left tonight’s game with two out in the third inning after being struck on his right shin by a line drive from Tigers first baseman Price Fielder.
X-rays were negative and the team announced he has a bruised right shin.
Hellickson fell to the turf as the ball ricocheted to first baseman Carlos Peña, who beat Fielder to the bag for the out as a run scored.
Rays head athletic trainer Ron Porterfield ran to the mound and Hellickson sat on the turf while Porterfield checked his shin.
Hellickson took three warm-ups and after a brief discussion with Porterfield and manager Joe Maddon, walked off the field.
This is the second straight game a Rays pitcher left the game because of an injury. David Price left Friday’s start before the eighth inning because of tightness in his lower back.
This is also the second time this season Hellickson has been injured by a batted ball from a Tiger. He was struck on the head by a batted while throwing a bullpen April 11 in Detroit. The Tigers were taking batting practice, and the batter was former Ray Delmon Young.