Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Gulf hires Messamore as head football coach
Posted Jan 22, 2013 by Andy Villamarzo
Updated Jan 22, 2013 at 07:43 PM
NEW PORT RICHEY—Former East Lake High assistant Jason Messamore was hired Tuesday as Gulf’s head football coach, Buccaneers athletic director Travis DeWalt said.
Messamore was one of three finalists for the position, including former University of South Florida player and grad assistant Michael Lube and Chamberlain assistant Ken Davis.
“All three had great second interviews,” DeWalt said. “It just all came down to that we thought Jason would be the right man for the job.”
Messamore inherits a tall task in taking over a Gulf program that has struggled the past two seasons. The Buccaneers were a combined 2-18 the last two years under former Land O’ Lakes assistant and former Gulf coach Tom Carter, who resigned last month. Messamore will be Gulf’s fourth coach in four years following Jay Fulmer (2005-2010), Kenneth Hollar (2010) and Carter (2011-2012).