Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Gulf hires Messamore as head football coach
Posted Jan 22, 2013 by Andy Villamarzo
Updated Jan 22, 2013 at 07:43 PM
NEW PORT RICHEY—Former East Lake High assistant Jason Messamore was hired Tuesday as Gulf’s head football coach, Buccaneers athletic director Travis DeWalt said.
Messamore was one of three finalists for the position, including former University of South Florida player and grad assistant Michael Lube and Chamberlain assistant Ken Davis.
“All three had great second interviews,” DeWalt said. “It just all came down to that we thought Jason would be the right man for the job.”
Messamore inherits a tall task in taking over a Gulf program that has struggled the past two seasons. The Buccaneers were a combined 2-18 the last two years under former Land O’ Lakes assistant and former Gulf coach Tom Carter, who resigned last month. Messamore will be Gulf’s fourth coach in four years following Jay Fulmer (2005-2010), Kenneth Hollar (2010) and Carter (2011-2012).