Most Recent Entries
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
Gulf girls basketball coach Quarto resigns
Posted Apr 29, 2012 by Andy Villamarzo
Updated Apr 29, 2012 at 07:30 PM
Mike Quarto resigned as girls basketball coach to pursue an administrative role, Quarto said Sunday afternoon.
“I’ve been doing this for nine years, and its just time for me to move on,” Quarto said. “I’m definitely going to miss the kids and the games. It’s been a great run. To be a good girls basketball coach these days, you have to be all in.”
Quarto made the announcement to his team early this morning at the team’s banquet. He led the Buccaneers to an impressive 28-3 record this past season, and has led Gulf seven times to the postseason since 2003. The veteran coach put together a 208-54 record to go along with five district championships and conference titles. The big question now is who will be take over the seemingly dominant program.
Quarto did state, though, that he will still stay aboard Gulf’s football varsity staff as an assistant to Buccaneers’ coach Tom Carter. Quarto was the Buccaneers’ defensive coordinator last season.