Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Gulf girls basketball coach Quarto resigns
Posted Apr 29, 2012 by Andy Villamarzo
Updated Apr 29, 2012 at 07:30 PM
Mike Quarto resigned as girls basketball coach to pursue an administrative role, Quarto said Sunday afternoon.
“I’ve been doing this for nine years, and its just time for me to move on,” Quarto said. “I’m definitely going to miss the kids and the games. It’s been a great run. To be a good girls basketball coach these days, you have to be all in.”
Quarto made the announcement to his team early this morning at the team’s banquet. He led the Buccaneers to an impressive 28-3 record this past season, and has led Gulf seven times to the postseason since 2003. The veteran coach put together a 208-54 record to go along with five district championships and conference titles. The big question now is who will be take over the seemingly dominant program.
Quarto did state, though, that he will still stay aboard Gulf’s football varsity staff as an assistant to Buccaneers’ coach Tom Carter. Quarto was the Buccaneers’ defensive coordinator last season.