Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Gulf football coach Tom Carter steps down following 0-10 season
Posted Nov 30, 2012 by Andy Villamarzo
Updated Nov 30, 2012 at 04:00 PM
In a sudden turn of events, Tom Carter stepped down as Gulf’s football coach this afternoon, according to Buccaneers athletic director Travis DeWalt.
Carter was named Gulf’s coach on Dec. 7, 2010, replacing Kenneth Hollar, who stepped down as the Buccaneers coach after leading the team to a 6-4 season. The former Land O’ Lakes defensive coordinator was never able to find the success he enjoyed for the Gators, as Carter went 2-18 in two seasons.
Known mostly as a disciplinarian, Carter brought in a no-nonsense attitude, which at times did not bode well for many athletes at Gulf. Carter dismissed quarterback Keyshaun Peters from the team early in the 2011 season and the team just was never able to find stability from that point on.
This past season for the Buccaneers was toughest,, as Gulf endured an 0-10 season and the program was outscored 424-29. Gulf is also in the midst of a 12-game losing streak.
In an e-mail, DeWalt stated the school will work diligently on filling the football position and will name a coach well before the first day of spring football.
Carter could not be reached for comment on his resignation.