Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Glover to DL; Reyes not ready
Posted May 2, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated May 2, 2008 at 03:52 PM
BOSTON—The plot thickens, much like the fog visible over downtown from the press box atop Fenway Park…
The Rays have placed Gary Glover on the 15-day DL with right shoulder tendinitis, a move that’s retroactive to April 26. Al Reyes, however, is not ready to be activated off the DL and remains in limbo. That means Kurt Birkins sticks around for at least a few more days, and with B.J. Upton down at least for today after straining his left shoulder yesterday, the Rays called Justin Ruggiano back up to provide outfield depth.
At the very least, the Glover move will give the Rays a break when it comes to clearing a spot for Scott Kazmir. Joe Maddon is expected to give us his rotation plans when we meet with him around 5. At this point, I’d be very surprised if the Rays didn’t put Jason Hammel in the bullpen, but we’ll see.
Here’s tonight’s lineup, with Gabe Gross taking over for Upton in center: