Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Glover to DL; Reyes not ready
Posted May 2, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated May 2, 2008 at 03:52 PM
BOSTON—The plot thickens, much like the fog visible over downtown from the press box atop Fenway Park…
The Rays have placed Gary Glover on the 15-day DL with right shoulder tendinitis, a move that’s retroactive to April 26. Al Reyes, however, is not ready to be activated off the DL and remains in limbo. That means Kurt Birkins sticks around for at least a few more days, and with B.J. Upton down at least for today after straining his left shoulder yesterday, the Rays called Justin Ruggiano back up to provide outfield depth.
At the very least, the Glover move will give the Rays a break when it comes to clearing a spot for Scott Kazmir. Joe Maddon is expected to give us his rotation plans when we meet with him around 5. At this point, I’d be very surprised if the Rays didn’t put Jason Hammel in the bullpen, but we’ll see.
Here’s tonight’s lineup, with Gabe Gross taking over for Upton in center: