Most Recent Entries
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
Galloway anxious to contribute Sunday
Posted Sep 3, 2008 by Ira Kaufman
Updated Sep 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM
Tampa Bay’s white tiger is awaiting word from the zookeeper.
Veteran WR Joey Galloway, who missed training camp and all four preseason games with a groin injury, declared himself ready to go for Sunday’s opener at New Orleans. But Galloway, dubbed the “white tiger’’ by Coach Jon Gruden, also stressed he doesn’t get to make the call.
“When coach made the white tiger comment, I think you (media) misunderstood what he was saying,’’ Galloway said Wednesday. “When you go and see the white tiger, there’s always posted times when he gets to eat. The zookeeper posts that time and coach is the zookeeper. It’s his decision on when I get to eat. I hope I get to eat on Sunday, but we will wait and see. I’m lobbying to be out there on Sunday, but that’s his call.’‘
Galloway, 36, has a history of playing well against the Saints and he comes off three consecutive 1,000-yard seasons. Gruden’s usual policy is to minimize Galloway’s practice time to keep him fresh for games, but the groin problem lingered throughout camp.
That could affect Galloway’s timing with QB Jeff Garcia at the Superdome.
“The funny part is these guys in the locker room are more understanding than coach is,’’ Galloway said. “These guys sort of smirk and laugh and say as long as you’re ready on Sunday, then everything’s OK. Now the zookeeper is a little different. Those days I didn’t practice, he would give it to me later at night. These guys in here I think trust me.’‘