Most Recent Entries
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
Gaither’s Barrett signs with USF
Posted Jul 16, 2012 by TBO Staff
Updated Jul 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Paul Barrett, the Class 3A state champion last season in the 300-meter hurdles while a senior at Gaither and a first-team selection to the Tampa Tribune’s all-Hillsborough County track squad, has signed a track scholarship with the University of South Florida.
Barrett had other offers, including one from Florida A&M University, but said he chose the Bulls because of the ability to compete at the Division I level close to home.
“I really like the idea of staying in Tampa,” Barrett said. “I have a lot of support here in the area from friends and family and it’s important to me to stay close to them.”
Barrett captured the 3A state title in the 300 hurdles with a personal record time of 37.29 seconds. He also owns a personal best in the 110 hurdles of 14.50 and has cleared 6 feet, 4 inches in the high jump. At USF, Barrett expects to run the 400 hurdles and relays.
At USF, Barrett will be following in the footsteps of Bulls star senior David Aristil, who qualified for this summer’s U.S. Olympic track and field trials in Oregon. There, Aristil reached the semifinals of the 400 hurdles.
Aristil was a three-time NCAA All-American for the Bulls and finished his college career with a school record and personal best in the 400 hurdles of 49.54. He was fifth at this year’s NCAA outdoor nationals. In the one time Barrett ran the 400 hurdles, at this year’s Golden South Classic, he clocked 52.97.