Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Fox Sun Sports announces TV schedule
Posted Feb 22, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 22, 2013 at 04:20 PM
Sun Sports will produce and televise 150 Rays regular season games this season.
Opening Day coverage begins live from Tropicana Field at 2:30 p.m. on April 2, when the Rays host the Baltimore Orioles.
Both home and away game telecasts will feature half-hour Rays live pregame shows and all will offer extended post-game coverage from site. Home games Rays live will originate from Tropicana Field, while away games will air from the FOX Sports studio in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Dewayne Staats returns this year for his 16th season as play-by-play announcer for Rays baseball on the regional network and will be joined in the TV booth by former MLB pitcher Brian Anderson. Staats enters his 36th year broadcasting baseball, while Anderson enters his 5th season providing analysis on Sun Sports.
Also in his 16th season, Todd Kalas serves as host for Rays LIVE pre- and postgame shows at Tropicana Field, while Barry LeBrock will anchor away games from the FOX Sports studio. Orestes Destrade rounds out the television talent lineup for Rays baseball on Sun Sports in 2013, appearing on and providing feature reports for Rays LIVE.
In addition to the 150 games on Sun Sports, the Rays will appear five times on the ‘FOX Saturday Baseball Game of the Week’ national schedule against the Boston Red Sox on April 13, at 1:05 p.m., Baltimore Orioles on May 18, at 4:05 p.m., Detroit Tigers on June 29, at 7:15 p.m., Chicago White Sox on July 6, at 7:15 p.m. and Los Angeles Dodgers on August 10, at 4:05 p.m.
The April 27th matchup against the Chicago White Sox will air on FOX Sports Florida, and the May 30th meeting against the Miami Marlins will be available via the statewide Marlins broadcast on FOX Sports Florida.
Also nine half-hour HD episodes of Sun Sports Inside the Rays are planned this year and will include player profiles, with rare behind-the-scenes stories and interviews, plus episodes offering inside access to other aspects of the team and its operations.