Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson picks up 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
Fox Sun Sports announces TV schedule
Posted Feb 22, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 22, 2013 at 04:20 PM
Sun Sports will produce and televise 150 Rays regular season games this season.
Opening Day coverage begins live from Tropicana Field at 2:30 p.m. on April 2, when the Rays host the Baltimore Orioles.
Both home and away game telecasts will feature half-hour Rays live pregame shows and all will offer extended post-game coverage from site. Home games Rays live will originate from Tropicana Field, while away games will air from the FOX Sports studio in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Dewayne Staats returns this year for his 16th season as play-by-play announcer for Rays baseball on the regional network and will be joined in the TV booth by former MLB pitcher Brian Anderson. Staats enters his 36th year broadcasting baseball, while Anderson enters his 5th season providing analysis on Sun Sports.
Also in his 16th season, Todd Kalas serves as host for Rays LIVE pre- and postgame shows at Tropicana Field, while Barry LeBrock will anchor away games from the FOX Sports studio. Orestes Destrade rounds out the television talent lineup for Rays baseball on Sun Sports in 2013, appearing on and providing feature reports for Rays LIVE.
In addition to the 150 games on Sun Sports, the Rays will appear five times on the ‘FOX Saturday Baseball Game of the Week’ national schedule against the Boston Red Sox on April 13, at 1:05 p.m., Baltimore Orioles on May 18, at 4:05 p.m., Detroit Tigers on June 29, at 7:15 p.m., Chicago White Sox on July 6, at 7:15 p.m. and Los Angeles Dodgers on August 10, at 4:05 p.m.
The April 27th matchup against the Chicago White Sox will air on FOX Sports Florida, and the May 30th meeting against the Miami Marlins will be available via the statewide Marlins broadcast on FOX Sports Florida.
Also nine half-hour HD episodes of Sun Sports Inside the Rays are planned this year and will include player profiles, with rare behind-the-scenes stories and interviews, plus episodes offering inside access to other aspects of the team and its operations.