Most Recent Entries
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
Former local standouts named to Baseball America prospect list
Posted Feb 19, 2013 by Jarrett Guthrie
Updated Feb 19, 2013 at 02:02 PM
A pair of former Hillsborough County baseball standouts, Jose Fernandez (Alonso) and Lance McCullers, Jr. (Jesuit) have been ranked in Baseball America’s 2013 Top 100 Prospect List.
Fernandez, the right-handed pitcher who comes in at No. 5, was drafted by the Miami Marlins in 2011 in the first round (14th overall). Fernandez went 14-1 last season with a 1.75 ERA and 158 strikeouts splitting time with the Marlins Low-A Greensboro Grasshoppers (South Atlantic League) and with the Advanced-A Jupiter Hammerheads (Florida State League) and also pitched in the Futures Game during All-Star week. Fernandez helped Alonso reach three-straight FHSAA state final fours winning state championships in 2009 and 2011. In his senior season, Fernandez was the Tampa Tribune’s Baseball Player of the Year.
McCullers, ranked No. 50 on the list, was drafted 41st overall by the Houston Astros after being named the Gatorade Baseball Player of the Year. The right-hander started eight games (four each in the Gulf Coast League and Appalachian League) after being drafted last summer going 0-4, but striking out 29 in 26 innings and recording a 3.46 ERA. McCullers helped Jesuit reach three-straight state final fours. McCullers was the 2012 Tampa Tribune baseball Player of the Year.