Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Former Armwood ace Benincasa sign with Washington
Posted Jun 25, 2012 by Jarrett Guthrie
Updated Jun 25, 2012 at 09:12 PM
Armwood alum and former Florida State closer Robert Benincasa announced via Twitter that he has agreed to a contract with the Washington Nationals. Benincasa was a seventh round (No. 234) selection by Washington in the Major League Baseball first-year players draft at the beginning of the month.
Benincasa had 16 saves as FSU’s closer in his junior season as the Seminoles advanced to the College World Series. Benincasa posted a 1.32 ERA with 58 strikeouts in a 41 innings.
While at Armwood, Benincasa was a Tampa Tribune All-Hillsborough County first teamer and was the 2009 Tony Saladino Memorial Baseball Award winner after posting a 12-1 record his senior season, which included a county-leading seven complete games and striking out 91 batters.