Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Five questions with Dan Wheeler
Posted Feb 24, 2010 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 24, 2010 at 04:57 PM
What do you do during the regular season to unwind between games?
“I like to go see movies when I’m on the road. When I’m at home, I’m with my kids as much as I can be. I always say it’s the best therapy in the world for me. Good or bad, it doesn’t matter. I forget about the game when I’m with them. All I am is Daddy.”
What do you do during the offseason?
“I think I work more in the offseason than I do during the season, because I become Mr. Mom. I do everything I can to help out. I don’t feel it’s a job. Neither one, baseball or being a dad, is a job for me, because I just love them both so much.”
What sports did you play other than baseball?
“Basketball. I love basketball. Probably college basketball is one of my favorite sports next to NFL football. I just loved playing it. Friday night games.”
Favorite college basketball team
Providence College Friars.
Favorite Winter Olympic sport
“Everyone of them, really. Definitely speed skating. That’s been fun. I like ski cross Snowboarding was a blast. Shaun White. The downhill skiing, too, with Bode Miller, Lindsey Vonn and Julia Mancuso.”
Favorite stadium to visit
“I like going to Fenway Park, believe it or not. That’s partial because I grew up in (Warwick, R.I.) a huge Sox fan. But I like the tradition, old time stadiums. I liked old Yankee Stadium. I liked going to Wrigley Field when I was in the National League.”