Most Recent Entries
- Rays pick up pitcher in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Land O’ Lakes cross country stars Travis Nichols, Tyler Stahl commit to North Florida
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
Finally: Gators offer Hillsborough’s Sherit
Posted Apr 7, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Apr 7, 2012 at 05:01 PM
Finally, after 23 other Division-I programs have made a scholarship off to Hillsborough junior defensive end Jordan Sherit, the Southeastern Conference school two hours up the road from this standout football player and honors student has made a pitch.
Sherit received the offer Friday from Gators head coach Will Muschamp after being invited up for today’s Orange and Blue spring game.
“The people and the facility here are great,” Sherit said from the field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on Saturday before the game. “It’s an SEC school close to home with a great tradition. It’s definitely going to be one of my top candidates.”
The 6-foot-4, 245-pound Sherit was recently rated by Rivals.com as the nation’s No. 76 player overall and the No. 5 defensive end. He also has an offer to play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and has attended the combine of the Under Armour All-American Game.
Last season, Sherit was the Terriers’ leading producer of tackles (110) and sacks (nine). He also saw duty at tight end and was their long snapper. Sherit is member of the school’s prestigious International Baccalaureate program and carries a GPA over 5.0.
Last week, Sherit landed an offer from Ohio State, where he has relatives living within an hour’s drive of Columbus, Ohio. He also has offers from Virginia, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Stanford, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Arizona, Illinois, Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Purdue, Connecticut, the University of Central Florida, Indiana, South Carolina, Auburn, Purdue, Duke, Miami, Vanderbilt and the University of South Florida.