Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
Favre On Verge Of Joining Bucs
Posted Aug 6, 2008 by Ira Kaufman
Updated Aug 6, 2008 at 08:44 AM
The Brett Favre saga could end with the NFL icon in pewter.
The Tribune has learned Favre will not stand in the way of a trade from Green Bay to Tampa Bay and the deal is likely to be finalized within 24 hours.
The chances of the trade unraveling are remote and Favre has indicated to the Bucs directly that he is willing to change teams after 16 years of growing his legend in Green Bay.
The Packers, unwilling to deal the 3-time league MVP to an NFC North rival, view the Bucs as a compromise in this ugly impasse. The Bucs view Favre as an upgrade on QB Jeff Garcia, who made the Pro Bowl in 2007 while leading Tampa Bay to an NFC South title.
Once it became clear to Favre that he wasn’t welcome back in Green Bay, he became more flexible in terms of accepting a trade to clubs outside the division. The Bucs have been interested in Favre since last month, when he announced he wanted to play again.
The Bucs could make the trade announcement official by Wednesday, but Favre will have little time to learn Coach Jon Gruden’s complex system because the Bucs open the regular season Sept. 7 at division rival New Orleans.