Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- A peek at Panini’s 2013 Cooperstown Collection
- Wharton athletes sign NLI’s
- Touchdown Club of Atlanta names Hargreaves top defensive back in the country
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Farnsworth to DL, Lueke called up, Gaub claimed off waivers
Posted Apr 5, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Apr 5, 2012 at 03:27 PM
ST. PETERSBURG The Rays placed closer Kyle Farnsworth on the 15-day disabled list today with a right elbow strain and called up RHP Josh Lueke from Triple A Durham.
Farnsworth said Wednesday the injury was similar to the one that sidelined him for two weeks last September. He didn’t think he would miss an extended period of time but did say he needed to rest his arm.
Lueke, acquired from the Mariners in November for catcher John Jaso, allowed nine hits and five runs in 8 1/3 innings this spring. He was optioned to Durham on March 23.
Rays manager Joe Maddon will use Joel Peralta, J.P. Howell and Fernando Rodney for the ninth based on which one matches up the best with the scheduled hitters.
It was Peralta who picked up the slack last September when Farnsworth was injured, going 4 for 4 in save opportunities.
Howell saved 17 games in 2009 after Troy Percival’s career ended with a hamstring injury and Jason Isringhausen suffered a season-ending elbow injury.
Rodney, who signed as a free agent in January, has 87 career saves, including 37 in 2009.
The Rays also claimed LHP John Gaub off waivers today from the Cubs and added him to the 40-man roster. He will not be on the Opening Day 25-man roster.
Aside from a short stint with the Cubs in 2011, Gaub spent the past four seasons at Triple A.
He appeared in four games with Cubs last season, pitching 2 1/3 innings.