Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Farnsworth resigns with Rays according to reports
Posted Jan 24, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jan 24, 2013 at 12:16 PM
The Rays and RHP Kyle Farnsworth agreed to a 1-year contract, according to ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick.
The Rays have yet to confirm the report, but they have been negotiating with the 36-year-old Farnsworth this winter, and Farnsworth made it clear he wanted to remain with the team and pitch close to his home in Celebration.
Ken Rosenthal of Fox reported the deal is worth $1.25 million with an additional $1.5 million in incentives.
Farnsworth, who saved 25 games for the Rays in 2011 but has been slowed by arm trouble since the end of that season.
He appeared in 34 games in 2012, pitching a total of 27 innings. He was 1-6 with a 4.00 ERA.
With LHP Jake McGee expected to take on a more meaningful role this season by pitching later in games, Farnsworth will add to the Rays depth at the front of the bullpen.