Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
Ex-Spoto basketball standout Beltran to sign with Puerto Rican pro team
Posted Mar 27, 2013 by Nick Williams
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 01:25 PM
Life just keeps getting better for former Spoto High graduate Derick Beltran.
Beltran, who recently carried Southern University into the NCAA men’s basketball tournament, only to fall short of upsetting No. 1 Gonzaga in the second round, is planning to sign with Guayama Brujos of Baloncesto Superior Nacional, Puerto Rico’s top professional basketball league.
Beltran, a 6-foot-4 senior guard who averaged 16.0 points this season at SU, was taken by Guayama with the first pick of the second round. Beltran said via text message he is flying to California and in a few days, will arrive in Puerto Rico to sign a contract.
Beltran, who scored 21 points in the loss against Gonzaga, said he also plans to enter his name for the 2013 NBA Draft.
“I’m still working on an agent, but I will in the next few weeks,” he said via text.
Beltran said he will continue to take courses online to graduate from SU on time.