Most Recent Entries
- Panini reveals details about Pinnacle basketball
- Rays pick up pitcher in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Land O’ Lakes cross country stars Travis Nichols, Tyler Stahl commit to North Florida
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
Ex-local softball standouts earn honors
Posted Jul 5, 2012 by Tribune staff
Updated Jul 5, 2012 at 05:45 PM
Former Newsome High pitcher Bailey Schinella and ex-King High outfielder Kirstin Austin were named to the 2012 All-ACC Academic Softball Team.
The Florida State standouts met the criteria of earning a 3.00 grade point average for the previous semester while maintaining a 3.00 cumulative average during their academic careers and earning adequate time on the field. FSU was 47-16 and earned a NCAA Regional berth for the 13th consecutive season.
“Being named to the All-ACC Academic Softball Team is a tribute to the hard work that each of these student-athletes has put in to making themselves so well-rounded in athletics and academics,” head coach Lonni Alameda said in a release from the school. “We always rave about the classroom success that FSU softball has attained over the years and it is accolades like this that show how much our players care not only about the game of softball but about building brighter futures for themselves.”
Schinella had four saves before a concussion in late March forced her to miss most of the rest of the season. Schinella is a business major who has a 3.25 cumulative GPA and recorded a 3.3 in her last semester.
Austin hit .281 overall and a team-best .364 in conference play. She has a 3.495 overall GPA and had a 3.545 in her most recent semester.