Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
- Maddux, Glavine, Thomas highlight newcomers on Hall of Fame ballot
Escobar returns against BoSox, Myers sits again
Posted Jul 22, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Jul 22, 2013 at 05:05 PM
By ROGER MOONEY
BOSTON Rays shortstop Yunel Escobar will return to the lineup for tonight’s game against the first-place Red Sox at Fenway Park.
Escobar, who missed the first three games of this road trip with a strained right hamstring, worked out on the field with bench coach Davey Martinez and head athletic trainer Ron Porterfield before he was pronounced fit to play.
Right fielder Wil Myers will miss his second straight game with a sore left wrist. Myers said the wrist felt “100 percent” while swinging in the batting cage this afternoon and called manager Joe Maddon’s decision to rest him another day “a precaution.”
The Rays begin the night 1 ½ games behind the Red Sox. The Rays have won 17 of their last 19 games, which represents the best 19-game stretch in the major leagues since the Twins won 18 of 19 in 2006.
The Rays are 3-9 this season against the Red Sox, including 1-5 at Fenway Park.
Here are the lineups:
Moore LHP (13-3, 3.44)
Workman RHP (0-0, 5.40)