- Men’s Roster
- Women’s Roster
- Men’s Schedule/Results
- Women’s Schedule/Results
- Men’s Statistics
- Big East Standings
- Live Scoreboard
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Depth chart: A few surprises
Posted Aug 15, 2012 by Joey Johnston
Updated Aug 15, 2012 at 08:59 PM
VERO BEACH—The University of South Florida football team released its first depth chart of training camp on Wednesday. There were a few surprises, but coach Skip Holtz was quick to caution that things could change—almost daily.
“We used all the information we have up to this point, including (Monday’s) scrimmage, to determine (the depth chart),’’ Holtz said in a statement released by USF. “Obviously, it is a fluid listing with potential changes each day. We took a hard look at each position and determined how the pieces would fit and we wanted to take a look at some things that we feel might help us be a better overall football team.
“As I’ve said, I’m really proud of how these players are working right now and I’m looking forward to seeing how these position battles play out through the rest of fall camp.’‘
The depth chart didn’t include several players who have missed time due to injury, such as defensive end Julius Forte and defensive tackle Cory Grissom.
Some of the highlights:
* Six true freshmen—WR D’vario Montgomery, TE Sean Price, DE Eric Lee, DE Daniel Perry, LB Tashon Whitehurst and CB Chris Bivins—were listed on the two-deep chart as backups.
* Redshirt sophomore Reshard Cliett, who played nine games in a reserve role last season, was the first-team strong-side linebacker. Senior Sam Barrington, primarily an outside linebacker, was listed as the first-team middle linebacker with senior Michael Lanaris in the backup role.
* Sophomore Darrell Williams, praised by coaches in the offseason, was the first-team left tackle and senior Damien Edwards was his backup. Senior Mark Popek, considered the left tackle coming into camp, was the first-team left guard.
* Senior Demetris Murray and junior Marcus Shaw, who was singled out by Holtz last weekend, shared the first-team running back position. Senior Lindsey Lamar and redshirt freshman Willie Davis were the backups.
* Redshirt freshman Matt Floyd and junior Bobby Eveld continued with an either/or designation as the backup quarterback to senior B.J. Daniels.
* Senior George Baker and redshirt freshman Kenneth Durden were listed as sharing a first-team cornerback designation, opposite holdover senior Kayvon Webster, who was backed up by Fidel Montgomery, a junior-college transfer.
* Redshirt freshman Mattias Ciabatti was listed as the first-team punter, ahead of senior Justin Brockhaus-Kann.