- Men’s Roster
- Women’s Roster
- Men’s Schedule/Results
- Women’s Schedule/Results
- Men’s Statistics
- Big East Standings
- Live Scoreboard
Most Recent Entries
- Rays pick up pitcher in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Land O’ Lakes cross country stars Travis Nichols, Tyler Stahl commit to North Florida
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
Depth chart: A few surprises
Posted Aug 15, 2012 by Joey Johnston
Updated Aug 15, 2012 at 08:59 PM
VERO BEACH—The University of South Florida football team released its first depth chart of training camp on Wednesday. There were a few surprises, but coach Skip Holtz was quick to caution that things could change—almost daily.
“We used all the information we have up to this point, including (Monday’s) scrimmage, to determine (the depth chart),’’ Holtz said in a statement released by USF. “Obviously, it is a fluid listing with potential changes each day. We took a hard look at each position and determined how the pieces would fit and we wanted to take a look at some things that we feel might help us be a better overall football team.
“As I’ve said, I’m really proud of how these players are working right now and I’m looking forward to seeing how these position battles play out through the rest of fall camp.’‘
The depth chart didn’t include several players who have missed time due to injury, such as defensive end Julius Forte and defensive tackle Cory Grissom.
Some of the highlights:
* Six true freshmen—WR D’vario Montgomery, TE Sean Price, DE Eric Lee, DE Daniel Perry, LB Tashon Whitehurst and CB Chris Bivins—were listed on the two-deep chart as backups.
* Redshirt sophomore Reshard Cliett, who played nine games in a reserve role last season, was the first-team strong-side linebacker. Senior Sam Barrington, primarily an outside linebacker, was listed as the first-team middle linebacker with senior Michael Lanaris in the backup role.
* Sophomore Darrell Williams, praised by coaches in the offseason, was the first-team left tackle and senior Damien Edwards was his backup. Senior Mark Popek, considered the left tackle coming into camp, was the first-team left guard.
* Senior Demetris Murray and junior Marcus Shaw, who was singled out by Holtz last weekend, shared the first-team running back position. Senior Lindsey Lamar and redshirt freshman Willie Davis were the backups.
* Redshirt freshman Matt Floyd and junior Bobby Eveld continued with an either/or designation as the backup quarterback to senior B.J. Daniels.
* Senior George Baker and redshirt freshman Kenneth Durden were listed as sharing a first-team cornerback designation, opposite holdover senior Kayvon Webster, who was backed up by Fidel Montgomery, a junior-college transfer.
* Redshirt freshman Mattias Ciabatti was listed as the first-team punter, ahead of senior Justin Brockhaus-Kann.