Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
Davis, Niemann Draw Starts
Posted Feb 22, 2009 by Joey Johnston
Updated Feb 22, 2009 at 03:50 PM
PORT CHARLOTTE—The Rays just announced Wade Davis will start Thursday afternoon’s exhibition game against the Yankees at Steinbrenner Field. Meanwhile, Jeff Niemann will start Friday’s home exhibition against the Red Sox, and he’ll be opposed by Michael Bowden.
Carlos Hernandez will start Wednesday’s exhibition opener against the Cincinnati Reds at Charlotte County Stadium. Other pitchers scheduled to work in the opener are Jason Hammel, Randy Choate, Lance Cormier, J.P. Howell, Neal Frontz and Mitch Talbot.