Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
Posted May 17, 2013 by Jarrett Guthrie
Updated May 17, 2013 at 05:47 PM
With the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft just three weeks away on Thursday, June 6th Baseball America has announced its most recent rankings of amateur players on May 17th. Four local prep players rank in the list’s Top 250.
Leading the way is Gaither shortstop Oscar Mercado (No. 38), a Florida State commit, who finished the season with a .286 average, 17 runs scored and 14 RBI. Wharton shortstop Tucker Neuhaus (No.84), a Louisville commit, struggled with injuries this season but his productive junior season included a .329 average, 23 runs scored and six home runs. Durant Pitcher Tyler Danish (No. 96), a Florida signee has dazzled this season yet to allow an earned run on the season including a shutout performance in Friday’s Class 8A state semifinal, 6-0 win over Hialeah American. Fellow Gator commit, King pitcher Brett Morales (No. 117) has had an equally impressive season including a region final win over Mitchell, where the senior struck out 17. Morales will take the mound next Wednesday as the Lions take on Lynn Haven Mosely in the Class 6A state semifinal.
Also making Baseball America’s list is former Jesuit standout and current University of Florida pitcher Daniel Gibson ranking as the lists 100th overall prospect. Gibson has posted a 3.62 ERA this season for the Gators in 28 relief appearances.