Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Crest’s Kelly honored by Bucs
Posted Sep 21, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Sep 24, 2012 at 04:06 PM
He’s got a tall order tonight when his squad takes on county powerhouse Hillsborough, but first-year Strawberry Crest coach John Kelly has not gone unnoticed for the progress he has made with the Chargers’ football program.
This past week, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have named Kelly their Coach of the Week for Week 3. Last fall, the Chargers produced a 2-9 record. Three games into the 2012 campaign, Kelly’s team has already matched their 2011 win total and has lost just once. Following the Crest’s 21-14 victory over Steinbrenner, Kelly earned the Bucs’ Coach of the Week honor.
Kelly and Chargers linebacker Mikey Mitchell were invited to attend the Bucs’ practice Thursday at One Buccaneer Place, where they were congratulated by head Coach Greg Schiano. In addition, Kelly was presented a 1,000 donation from the Bucs that will support Strawberry Crest’s football program.
This fall, the Bucs will honor 10 prep football coaches from Central Florida with the same awards. In addition, a Coach of the Year will be awarded from the 10 weekly winners. The Coach of the Year will receive an additional $1,000 for their program.