Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Cory Murphy claimed
Posted Jan 19, 2009 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Jan 19, 2009 at 01:44 PM
With the Lightning banged up on defense - Matt Smaby will be out tonight - leaving the team with essentially three healty NHL defenseman - not counting rookie Kevin Quick and converted David Koci - the team has claimed Cory Murphy off re-entry waivers from the Florida Panthers.
Murphy has had a hard time cracking the Panthers’ lineup this season and has been hampered by a shoulder injury this season. By claiming him on re-entry waivers, Tampa Bay will be responsible for a little less than half of his remaining $875,000 contract this season. Murphy is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent next season.