Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Cory Murphy claimed
Posted Jan 19, 2009 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Jan 19, 2009 at 01:44 PM
With the Lightning banged up on defense - Matt Smaby will be out tonight - leaving the team with essentially three healty NHL defenseman - not counting rookie Kevin Quick and converted David Koci - the team has claimed Cory Murphy off re-entry waivers from the Florida Panthers.
Murphy has had a hard time cracking the Panthers’ lineup this season and has been hampered by a shoulder injury this season. By claiming him on re-entry waivers, Tampa Bay will be responsible for a little less than half of his remaining $875,000 contract this season. Murphy is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent next season.