Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
- Bishop McLaughlin names assistant Craig Moore as its head football coach
Cory Murphy claimed
Posted Jan 19, 2009 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Jan 19, 2009 at 01:44 PM
With the Lightning banged up on defense - Matt Smaby will be out tonight - leaving the team with essentially three healty NHL defenseman - not counting rookie Kevin Quick and converted David Koci - the team has claimed Cory Murphy off re-entry waivers from the Florida Panthers.
Murphy has had a hard time cracking the Panthers’ lineup this season and has been hampered by a shoulder injury this season. By claiming him on re-entry waivers, Tampa Bay will be responsible for a little less than half of his remaining $875,000 contract this season. Murphy is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent next season.