Erik Erlendsson covers the Tampa Bay Lightning for The Tampa Tribune.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
Clarification on goalie situation
Posted Feb 2, 2009 by Erik Erlendsson
Updated Feb 2, 2009 at 06:49 PM
Sorry for the confusion earlier gang, put in something, tried to update it and forgot to change some things I had already written. It happens when you strive for immediacy sometimes, especially on a travel day.
The team did not reveal until well after practice today that Mike Smith was injured and is day-to-day with an upper-body injury. I tried to cram that information into the previous post.
Smith did not travel with the team today as he went to seek either some medical testing or a therapy of some type, according to general manager Brian Lawton, who did not rule out Smith joining the team in New York before tomorrow’s game and Rick Tocchet has not ruled anything out at this point.
Mike McKenna is with the team and he will suit up against the Islanders, whether he plays or not is up in the air. The official announcement on his signing is expected on Tuesday. Karri Ramo is expected to be here and if Smith is unable to play, he’ll suit up as well.
Lawton said the team has spoken to the league in regards to Ramo being with the team and possibly playing. While ther is no set rule against an AHL suspension being honored by the NHL, they generally abide by the suspensions. But because of the injury situation, Ramo is allowed to suit up, just as he did last Tuesday against against Montreal.
Sorry for any confusion, but there are a lot of shuffling parts going on here today.