Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Chip off the ole’ block: Gruden commits to Lafayette
Posted Jan 30, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Jan 30, 2012 at 01:24 PM
Carrollwood Day School two-way starter Deuce Gruden, the son of former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden, has made a commitment to Lafayette College in Easton, Pa., CDS coach Lane McLaughlin announced Monday.
“He’s a great kid and they’re excited to get him,” McLaughlin said. “They’re looking to play him mostly at slot receiver and special teams and I’m sure he’s going to help them a lot.”
McLaughlin said Gruden made visits to several other schools, including Dayton (where his dad played college football), John Carroll and Center College. Lafayette is a Division I-AA program that competes in the Patriot League.
Between 2004-2006, the Leopards’ football made three straight appearances in the I-AA tournament. Last season, Lafayette finished 4-7 overall and 1-4 in the Patriot League.
The 5-foot-6, 180-pound Gruden played quarterback the last two seasons for CDS and piled up more than 3,000 passing yards and 32 touchdowns. He also played linebacker the last two years, producing a total of 130 tackles.