Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Chip off the ole’ block: Gruden commits to Lafayette
Posted Jan 30, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Jan 30, 2012 at 01:24 PM
Carrollwood Day School two-way starter Deuce Gruden, the son of former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden, has made a commitment to Lafayette College in Easton, Pa., CDS coach Lane McLaughlin announced Monday.
“He’s a great kid and they’re excited to get him,” McLaughlin said. “They’re looking to play him mostly at slot receiver and special teams and I’m sure he’s going to help them a lot.”
McLaughlin said Gruden made visits to several other schools, including Dayton (where his dad played college football), John Carroll and Center College. Lafayette is a Division I-AA program that competes in the Patriot League.
Between 2004-2006, the Leopards’ football made three straight appearances in the I-AA tournament. Last season, Lafayette finished 4-7 overall and 1-4 in the Patriot League.
The 5-foot-6, 180-pound Gruden played quarterback the last two seasons for CDS and piled up more than 3,000 passing yards and 32 touchdowns. He also played linebacker the last two years, producing a total of 130 tackles.