Most Recent Entries
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
Chip off the ole’ block: Gruden commits to Lafayette
Posted Jan 30, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Jan 30, 2012 at 01:24 PM
Carrollwood Day School two-way starter Deuce Gruden, the son of former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden, has made a commitment to Lafayette College in Easton, Pa., CDS coach Lane McLaughlin announced Monday.
“He’s a great kid and they’re excited to get him,” McLaughlin said. “They’re looking to play him mostly at slot receiver and special teams and I’m sure he’s going to help them a lot.”
McLaughlin said Gruden made visits to several other schools, including Dayton (where his dad played college football), John Carroll and Center College. Lafayette is a Division I-AA program that competes in the Patriot League.
Between 2004-2006, the Leopards’ football made three straight appearances in the I-AA tournament. Last season, Lafayette finished 4-7 overall and 1-4 in the Patriot League.
The 5-foot-6, 180-pound Gruden played quarterback the last two seasons for CDS and piled up more than 3,000 passing yards and 32 touchdowns. He also played linebacker the last two years, producing a total of 130 tackles.