- Men’s Roster
- Women’s Roster
- Men’s Schedule/Results
- Women’s Schedule/Results
- Men’s Statistics
- Big East Standings
- Live Scoreboard
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Charles Barkley: B.J.‘s buddy
Posted Aug 6, 2012 by Joey Johnston
Updated Aug 6, 2012 at 09:40 PM
Plenty of people will be watching closely this year when quarterback B.J. Daniels plays his senior season for the University of South Florida Bulls.
And one of those people is Charles Barkley, the former NBA All-Star and Most Valuable Player, the former U.S. Olympic gold-medal winner and the audacious, say-whatever-he-feels-like basketball analyst.
Sir Charles is a big fan of B.J.
The connection was made through Paul Daniels, B.J.‘s uncle, who was the point guard at Auburn University when Barkley made his name as the “Round Mound of Rebound’’ during a sterling SEC career.
Last season, when Daniels was helped engineer USF’s season-opening upset of Notre Dame, the uncle called Barkley.
Uncle Paul: “What are you doing, Charles?’‘
Barkley: “I’m watching USF beat Notre Dame. Hey, USF has a pretty good quarterback.’‘
Uncle Paul: “What’s his name?’‘
Barkley: “Daniels. Why?’‘
Uncle Paul: “Are you really that dumb? Don’t you know who that is?’‘
Barkley actually had met B.J. Daniels once before during a number-retirement ceremony at Auburn. But all he remembered was this kid, the nephew of his basketball teammate. Barkley was amazed to see how the kid had grown up—and what he was up to in football. So Barkley got B.J.‘s number and placed a call, checking in and congratulating him on the victory at Notre Dame.
“At first, I didn’t believe it was him,’’ Daniels said. “I called him right back. We’ve talked a couple of times. He’s a pretty cool guy.’‘