Most Recent Entries
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
Chamberlain’s Mera earns USTA scholarship
Posted May 31, 2011 by Katherine Smith
Updated May 31, 2011 at 12:51 PM
Chamberlain tennis standout Nicole Mera will be heading to Florida State University with some extra cash in her pocket.
Mera received notice that she earned a $6,000 ($1,500 each year for four years) scholarship from USTA Serves. The Chiefs No. 1 singles player, who advanced to the state tournament the past two seasons and who was recently honored with the Andres Garcia Memorial Tennis Award, was pleasantly surprised.
In accepting the scholarship, Mera will have to show the USTA that she is a student in good standing at the end of each academic year.
The program also encourages Mera to participate in club tennis, a program she was already looking into since it will allow her to continue to play at a high level, but not with the rigors of a varsity program.