Most Recent Entries
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
- Rays @ Reds: Kiermaier starts, Myers, Jennings sit
- Fruhmorgen commits to Clemson
- Boys Basketball: Jean, Ingram make 7A All-State Team
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Aaron auto is mystery redemption card No. 1 for 2014 Topps Tribute
- Bishop McLaughlin names assistant Craig Moore as its head football coach
Chamberlain’s Mera earns USTA scholarship
Posted May 31, 2011 by Katherine Smith
Updated May 31, 2011 at 12:51 PM
Chamberlain tennis standout Nicole Mera will be heading to Florida State University with some extra cash in her pocket.
Mera received notice that she earned a $6,000 ($1,500 each year for four years) scholarship from USTA Serves. The Chiefs No. 1 singles player, who advanced to the state tournament the past two seasons and who was recently honored with the Andres Garcia Memorial Tennis Award, was pleasantly surprised.
In accepting the scholarship, Mera will have to show the USTA that she is a student in good standing at the end of each academic year.
The program also encourages Mera to participate in club tennis, a program she was already looking into since it will allow her to continue to play at a high level, but not with the rigors of a varsity program.