Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Rays @ O’s: Rays on FOX game of the week
- Seffner Christian’s Hanson picks Liberty
- Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
- Rays @ O’s: Hellickson returns to mound to start trip
- Former Newsome tennis standout, Hersh, named POY
- Bishop McLaughlin sophomore OH Alyssa Mathis commits to San Diego State
- Rays v BoSox: Price looks for 2nd win, Escobar moved to 5th in order
- Area athletes sign and commit to colleges
- Steinbrenner announces athletic signings
- Mitchell P/INF Chris McCormick commits to PHCC
- Three Hudson girls soccer players, including first the Division I scholarship, to sign Friday
- Connors holds serve in autobiography
- Allergies might be behind Price’s poor start
- Holy Names’ Martin picks TCU
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Bucs RB Martin finalist again in Pepsi Max, Panini rookie of the week voting
Posted Nov 20, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM
For the fourth straight week, a Bucs player is a finalist for the Rookie of the Week honors sponsored by Pepsi Max (with a visual assist from Panini America). The last three weeks, the nominees were running back Doug Martin, who was a finalist in the Week 8 voting and the Week 9 winner; and cornerback Leonard Johnson, who was a finalist in Week 10.
Martin returns as a finalist for Week 11 after rushing for 138 yards on 24 carries in Tampa Bay’s 27-21 overtime win against Carolina.
This season, Pepsi Max and Panini have been asking fans to vote at the NFL’s website: http://www.nfl.com/voting/rookies/2012/REG/11.
Panini does its part by putting virtual cards of the nominees on the NFL’s Facebook page in a Pepsi Rookie of the Week gallery. Johnson’s card is a nice 2012 Limited Football version.
Here’s what Panini asks. Vote for one of the nominees, then share the image Panini has of that player on your Facebook, on the Panini America Facebook page and on Twitter. Remember to use this hash tag, #PepsiROW.
Here are the other four nominees:
Jacksonville receiver Justin Blackmon, who caught seven passes for 236 yards and one touchdown in the Jaguars’ 43-37 overtime loss to Houston.
New England cornerback Alfonzo Dennard, who had four tackles and returned an interception 87 yards for a score in the Patriots’ 59-24 win against Indianapolis.
Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III, who completed 14 of 15 passes and threw four touchdowns, finishing his day with a 158.3 passer rating. Griffin also rushed for 84 yards as the Redskins beat Philadelphia 31-6.
Indianapolis receiver T.Y. Hilton, who caught six passes for 100 yards and two touchdowns in the Colts’ 59-24 loss to New England.
Can Martin win again? If I had to bet, I’d say Blackmon or Griffin, but the voters will decide. The winner will be announced Friday.