Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Bucs QB Freeman trying to give Martin ‘Fresh’ nickname
Posted Nov 8, 2012 by Roy Cummings
Updated Nov 8, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Bucs RB Doug Martin got the nickname “Muscle Hamster’’ from an old Boise State teammate who thought it aptly described Martin’s muscular build and chubby cheeks. Martin, though, is no fan of that moniker.
He has been wishing someone would come up with something different for him for a long time, and while QB Josh Freeman has made a valid attempt, he’s done so only while regularly needling Martin about his nickname he can’t shake.
“I have a number of close friends and family members who somehow dig up these awesome muscle-hamster pictures on the internet and they send them to me and I just so happen to show them to Doug,’’ Freeman said.
“I mean, I call him ‘Dougie Fresh,’ but every now and then I’ll hear a good hamster joke and I think it’s funny and so I’ll tell (Martin). I mean, it’s funny right? Maybe he doesn’t appreciate it, but you want to keep the guy happy so ‘Dougie Fresh’ it is.’’