Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
Bucs QB Freeman trying to give Martin ‘Fresh’ nickname
Posted Nov 8, 2012 by Roy Cummings
Updated Nov 8, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Bucs RB Doug Martin got the nickname “Muscle Hamster’’ from an old Boise State teammate who thought it aptly described Martin’s muscular build and chubby cheeks. Martin, though, is no fan of that moniker.
He has been wishing someone would come up with something different for him for a long time, and while QB Josh Freeman has made a valid attempt, he’s done so only while regularly needling Martin about his nickname he can’t shake.
“I have a number of close friends and family members who somehow dig up these awesome muscle-hamster pictures on the internet and they send them to me and I just so happen to show them to Doug,’’ Freeman said.
“I mean, I call him ‘Dougie Fresh,’ but every now and then I’ll hear a good hamster joke and I think it’s funny and so I’ll tell (Martin). I mean, it’s funny right? Maybe he doesn’t appreciate it, but you want to keep the guy happy so ‘Dougie Fresh’ it is.’’