Most Recent Entries
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
Bucs QB Freeman trying to give Martin ‘Fresh’ nickname
Posted Nov 8, 2012 by Roy Cummings
Updated Nov 8, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Bucs RB Doug Martin got the nickname “Muscle Hamster’’ from an old Boise State teammate who thought it aptly described Martin’s muscular build and chubby cheeks. Martin, though, is no fan of that moniker.
He has been wishing someone would come up with something different for him for a long time, and while QB Josh Freeman has made a valid attempt, he’s done so only while regularly needling Martin about his nickname he can’t shake.
“I have a number of close friends and family members who somehow dig up these awesome muscle-hamster pictures on the internet and they send them to me and I just so happen to show them to Doug,’’ Freeman said.
“I mean, I call him ‘Dougie Fresh,’ but every now and then I’ll hear a good hamster joke and I think it’s funny and so I’ll tell (Martin). I mean, it’s funny right? Maybe he doesn’t appreciate it, but you want to keep the guy happy so ‘Dougie Fresh’ it is.’’