Bob is a longtime member of the Florida sports media, having served as a reporter and copy editor for more than 30 years. His true sports passion, however, is the history of the various games, exhibited by his in-depth book reviews and hobby of collecting cards and other sports memorabilia. He blogs for TBO.com on both subjects, transferring his work for the Tampa Tribune to the realm of cyberspace.
E-Mail The Bookie:
Have a question or comment for Bob?
Follow Bob here:
Most Recent Entries
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- A peek at Panini’s 2013 Cooperstown Collection
- Wharton athletes sign NLI’s
- Touchdown Club of Atlanta names Hargreaves top defensive back in the country
- Rays @ Jays: Cobb looking for 5th win
- FACA Baseball Classic Rosters announced
- Stargell stands tall in biography
- Profar is second Bowman redemption card
- Rays @ Jays: Victoria Day matinee
- Green seeking funds for trip
- Area Athletes Shine at Golden South Classic
- Rays @ O’s: Moore looking to go 8-0, Rays looking for sweep
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Bucs CB Johnson finalist in Pepsi Max, Panini rookie of the week voting
Posted Nov 13, 2012 by Bob D'Angelo
Updated Mar 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM
For the third straight week, a Bucs player is a finalist for the Rookie of the Week honors sponsored by Pepsi Max (with a visual assist from Panini America). The last two weeks, the nominee was running back Doug Martin, who was a finalist in the Week 8 voting and the Week 9 winner.
After Sunday’s games, Tampa Bay cornerback Leonard Johnson was recognized as a Week 10 finalist. The Clearwater resident and former Largo High star intercepted a pass for the third consecutive week. He returned Sunday’s pick 83 yards for a touchdown, a key defensive play in the Bucs’ 34-24 victory against San Diego. Johnson also had five tackles — including one for a loss — and had one tackle on special teams.
For the past 10 weeks, Pepsi Max and Panini have been asking fans to vote at the NFL’s website: http://www.nfl.com/voting/rookies/2012/REG/10.
Panini does its part by putting virtual cards of the nominees on the NFL’s Facebook page in a Pepsi Rookie of the Week gallery. Johnson’s card is a nice Crown Royale version.
Here’s what Panini asks. Vote for one of the nominees, then share the image Panini has of that player on your Facebook, on the Panini America Facebook page and on Twitter. Remember to use this hash tag, #PepsiROW.
Here are the other four nominees:
St. Louis punter Johnny Hekker, who was successful on two fake punts, one of which converted a fourth-and-8 on a late fourth-quarter drive that put the Rams ahead. He also had four punts in the game, downing one inside the 49ers’ 20-yard line. The game ended in a 24-24 tie with San Francisco.
Indianapolis quarterback Andrew Luck, who completed 18 of 26 passes for 227 yards and added two touchdowns on the ground in the Colts’ 27-10 win against Jacksonville.
Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson, who completed 12 of 19 passes for 188 yards and two touchdowns in the Seahawks’ 28-7 victory against the New York Jets.
Minnesota receiver Jarius Wright, who caught three passes for 65 yards and scored one touchdown in the Vikings’ 34-24 victory against Detroit.
Will the winner be Johnson? Or someone else? The winner will be announced Friday.