Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Bucs already busy signing free agents
Posted Jan 8, 2008 by Roy Cummings
Updated Jan 8, 2008 at 09:07 PM
TAMPA – The season may be over but the work at One Buc Place never stops. In recent days the Bucs have been busy signing players who they hope will one day turn into the next Donald Penn, Greg White or Earnest Graham.
It’s all part of the off-season routine. Teams regularly sign what they call “street free agents’’ to reserve/future contracts that will allow them to be on the team’s roster come the first day of the league year in March.
Only players who were not on any NFL team’s active roster when the 2005 season ended are eligible for such signings. Those signed by the Bucs to free-agent/future contracts so far include:
DE Marquies Gunn (Auburn), DB Marcus Hamilton (Virginia), G Brian Johnson (LSU), DB Darrell Hunter (Miami, Ohio), TE Daniel Fells (Cal-Davis) and WR Hankton Cortez (Texas Southern).