Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yanks: Nova to DL, Teixeira returns, updates on Cobb, Helly, DJ and lineups
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
Bucs already busy signing free agents
Posted Jan 8, 2008 by Roy Cummings
Updated Jan 8, 2008 at 09:07 PM
TAMPA – The season may be over but the work at One Buc Place never stops. In recent days the Bucs have been busy signing players who they hope will one day turn into the next Donald Penn, Greg White or Earnest Graham.
It’s all part of the off-season routine. Teams regularly sign what they call “street free agents’’ to reserve/future contracts that will allow them to be on the team’s roster come the first day of the league year in March.
Only players who were not on any NFL team’s active roster when the 2005 season ended are eligible for such signings. Those signed by the Bucs to free-agent/future contracts so far include:
DE Marquies Gunn (Auburn), DB Marcus Hamilton (Virginia), G Brian Johnson (LSU), DB Darrell Hunter (Miami, Ohio), TE Daniel Fells (Cal-Davis) and WR Hankton Cortez (Texas Southern).