Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Green seeking funds for trip
- Area Athletes Shine at Golden South Classic
- Rays @ O’s: Moore looking to go 8-0, Rays looking for sweep
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Rays @ O’s: Rays on FOX game of the week
- Seffner Christian’s Hanson picks Liberty
- Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
- Rays @ O’s: Hellickson returns to mound to start trip
- Former Newsome tennis standout, Hersh, named POY
- Bishop McLaughlin sophomore OH Alyssa Mathis commits to San Diego State
- Rays v BoSox: Price looks for 2nd win, Escobar moved to 5th in order
- Area athletes sign and commit to colleges
- Steinbrenner announces athletic signings
- Mitchell P/INF Chris McCormick commits to PHCC
- Three Hudson girls soccer players, including first the Division I scholarship, to sign Friday
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Brignac, Thayer to join Rays
Posted May 22, 2009 by Marc Lancaster
Updated May 22, 2009 at 03:25 PM
FORT LAUDERDALE—Been quite a travel day so far, sorry for the delay.
The Rays will have two new players suited up tonight, infielder Reid Brignac and reliever Dale Thayer.
I don’t know at this point what the corresponding moves will be, but I imagine at least one will involve a DL trip.
Updating: As we await official word on the moves, one thing to consider: Thayer being brought up doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be a couple of relievers getting DL’ed. If one is Kazmir, for instance, his next rotation turn doesn’t come until Monday, so there’s little reason to bring up another starter now. You shore up your bullpen for a few days, then bring a starter up Monday and send a reliever out.
In case you’re wondering on that front, looks like Carlos Hernandez would be the guy on proper rest if they do need a starter that day. And they wouldn’t have trouble clearing a 40-man spot for him. Fernando Perez and Chad Bradford still are on the 15-day DL and not the 60-day, so Perez for sure and Bradford likely would be able to transfer to the 60-day with no real effect on their return dates.