Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Brignac, Thayer to join Rays
Posted May 22, 2009 by Marc Lancaster
Updated May 22, 2009 at 03:25 PM
FORT LAUDERDALE—Been quite a travel day so far, sorry for the delay.
The Rays will have two new players suited up tonight, infielder Reid Brignac and reliever Dale Thayer.
I don’t know at this point what the corresponding moves will be, but I imagine at least one will involve a DL trip.
Updating: As we await official word on the moves, one thing to consider: Thayer being brought up doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be a couple of relievers getting DL’ed. If one is Kazmir, for instance, his next rotation turn doesn’t come until Monday, so there’s little reason to bring up another starter now. You shore up your bullpen for a few days, then bring a starter up Monday and send a reliever out.
In case you’re wondering on that front, looks like Carlos Hernandez would be the guy on proper rest if they do need a starter that day. And they wouldn’t have trouble clearing a 40-man spot for him. Fernando Perez and Chad Bradford still are on the 15-day DL and not the 60-day, so Perez for sure and Bradford likely would be able to transfer to the 60-day with no real effect on their return dates.