Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Brignac, Elliot Johnson DFAed to make room for Farnsworth and Kelly Johnson
Posted Feb 5, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 5, 2013 at 06:39 PM
By ROGER MOONEY
ST. PETERSBURG The Tampa Rays officially announced this afternoon the signings for free agent relief pitcher Kyle Farnsworth and former Toronto Blue Jays second baseman Kelly Johnson.
To make room on the 40-man roster, the Rays designated infielders Reid Brignac and Elliot Johnson for assignment.
Kelly Johnson, whose signing moves Ben Zobrist to the outfield, will make $2.45 million this season, plus incentives. Farnsworth will make $1.25 plus incentives.
Brignac and Elliot Johnson became expandable after the Rays kept infielder Ryan Roberts, acquired last season in a trade with Arizona, and signed Kelly Johnson.