Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Brignac, Elliot Johnson DFAed to make room for Farnsworth and Kelly Johnson
Posted Feb 5, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 5, 2013 at 06:39 PM
By ROGER MOONEY
ST. PETERSBURG The Tampa Rays officially announced this afternoon the signings for free agent relief pitcher Kyle Farnsworth and former Toronto Blue Jays second baseman Kelly Johnson.
To make room on the 40-man roster, the Rays designated infielders Reid Brignac and Elliot Johnson for assignment.
Kelly Johnson, whose signing moves Ben Zobrist to the outfield, will make $2.45 million this season, plus incentives. Farnsworth will make $1.25 plus incentives.
Brignac and Elliot Johnson became expandable after the Rays kept infielder Ryan Roberts, acquired last season in a trade with Arizona, and signed Kelly Johnson.