Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Brignac could miss a week with groin injury
Posted Mar 5, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 5, 2011 at 02:32 PM
BY ROGER MOONEY
PORT CHARLOTTE – Reid Brignac was scratched from today’s game against the Twins with a groin injury that is expected to keep him out of the lineup until the end of next week, manager Joe Maddon said this morning.
“We don’t think it’s anything bad,” Maddon said.
The Rays originally said Brignac was held out of the game as a precaution, but it is apparently more than that since he will miss a week.
Ben Zobrist, scratched from Friday’s lineup with soreness in his right ankle, is expected back Tuesday.
“It’s doing all right. It’s just sore. I don’t know what I did to it,” Zobrist said. “I think I might have just rolled it without knowing it. It just kind of feel likes I sprained my ankle, but I don’t really remember doing anything. The swelling is down and it was just a little bit sore. I’m just giving it a couple of days to rest.”
Maddon said Sam Fuld (sore left elbow) is also expected back Tuesday.
Elliot Johnson (left quad tightness) is expected back Wednesday.