Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
Brignac could miss a week with groin injury
Posted Mar 5, 2011 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 5, 2011 at 02:32 PM
BY ROGER MOONEY
PORT CHARLOTTE – Reid Brignac was scratched from today’s game against the Twins with a groin injury that is expected to keep him out of the lineup until the end of next week, manager Joe Maddon said this morning.
“We don’t think it’s anything bad,” Maddon said.
The Rays originally said Brignac was held out of the game as a precaution, but it is apparently more than that since he will miss a week.
Ben Zobrist, scratched from Friday’s lineup with soreness in his right ankle, is expected back Tuesday.
“It’s doing all right. It’s just sore. I don’t know what I did to it,” Zobrist said. “I think I might have just rolled it without knowing it. It just kind of feel likes I sprained my ankle, but I don’t really remember doing anything. The swelling is down and it was just a little bit sore. I’m just giving it a couple of days to rest.”
Maddon said Sam Fuld (sore left elbow) is also expected back Tuesday.
Elliot Johnson (left quad tightness) is expected back Wednesday.