Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Panini reveals details about Pinnacle basketball
- Rays pick up pitcher in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Land O’ Lakes cross country stars Travis Nichols, Tyler Stahl commit to North Florida
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
Bowl with Price to raise money for Big Brothers, Big Sisters
Posted Feb 15, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Feb 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Rays pitcher David Price is participating in Big Brothers Big Sisters’ largest fundraiser of the year, Bowl For Kids’ Sake, for the second straight year.
Price, the 2012 American League Cy Young Award winner, is encouraging his fans to get in the game by helping raise money for the agency. Big Brothers Big Sisters provides caring adult mentors to children facing adversity in the Tampa Bay community.
Funds raised from Bowl For Kids’ Sake will allow the agency to pair more children with carefully screened volunteers, as well as provide professional on-going support for each volunteer mentor (Big) and child (Little). Fans are encouraged to collect donations for Big Brothers Big Sisters and win a chance to be a VIP at the David Price Bowling Party. The best part: the money raised will stay in the Tampa Bay community.
Last year, at the first-ever David Price Bowl For Kids’ Sake event, fans raised more than $27,000. Price hopes that number climbs higher this year.
“It was great to meet and personally thank those who worked hard to raise money, so kids in our community can have a mentor. I know first-hand how mentors can make a difference. I wouldn’t be where I am today without the support from those who encouraged me to follow my dreams,” said Price.
Big Brothers Big Sisters is proud to partner with Price who was the Rays 2012 nominee for the Roberto Clemente award. The award is given to the player who best represents the game of baseball through positive contributions on and off the field, including sportsmanship and community involvement.
Here’s how to get in the game:
Join David Price’s online fundraising team at http://www.bbbsfl.org or call Amy Hollington, 813-769-3636
Top 30 fundraisers (minimum of $1,000 in paid donations received by Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tampa Bay by March 25, 2013) will be eligible for the VIP Party
The David Price VIP Bowling Party on Friday, March 29, 2013 is by invitation only (details will be sent to guests but includes four guest passes, two bowling games with shoes, food and drinks, t-shirts, goodie bags, Pin Chasers gift cards, and other gifts all month long.
For updates and a chance to win more prizes, follow David Price on Twitter @DavidPrice14