Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Rodney remains the closer, Jennings off, Joyce back
- Gausman is Bowman’s No. 3 redemption card
- Topps previews baseball Update series
- Panini’s Prime Hockey will have extra treat
- Rays juggle rotation to get Cobb a start this weekend against Yankees
- Beckett opens weekly Wednesday chat room on Facebook page
- Rays @ Jays: Joyce update, Longo DH, Molina returns
- NFL Network report on Revis is revealing
- In The Game acquires Sport Kings LP
- Pasco WR Nate Craig (2016) up to 15 Division I offers
- Tampa Bay softball players honored by FACA
- Western Conference Baseball Teams
- Pasco baseball players Blaine Duncan, Matt Plourde headed to Barry, Daytona State respectively
- Maddon changes stance on Escobar’s home run guesture
- Panini previews Rookies & Stars football
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Bobby V calls out Rays coaches
Posted May 26, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated May 26, 2012 at 06:39 PM
BOSTON Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine had some interesting things to say about the fallout from Friday’s bench-clearing shoving match during the ninth Friday night.
Here is some highlights from his pregame presser:
Did he interpret Joe Maddon’s postgame comments as a shot at him?
“Is that how they do it there when they throw at our guys? It comes from the coaches, you mean? I don’t’ know how things are done on their side and I don’t think they know how things are done on our side… whatever.”
Odd that Maddon called out Valentine’s coaching staff?
“Is that odd? I don’t know. I don’t know what’s odd.”
If a guy hit tonight, less or more relevant?
“I don’t know. I think you go on a case by case situation. Guys get hit all the time.
I can’t predict the future. I don’t know what the temperature of the game will be whenever something like that happens.”
Are the Red Sox more inspired?
“We’ve been pretty inspired. We’ve played a pretty good brand of baseball. We’ve got a tough customer that we’re going up against and I think we have a tough customer that they’re going to try to hit against so it should be a good baseball game. … Yesterday was kind of like baseball. That was kind of lost in the shuffle. That seemed to be baseball.”
Coaches being so involved?
“I thought their coaches were really aggressive and as a matter of fact I took offense to the aggressiveness of their coaches. I thought it was very unprofessional and I really was proud of the way my coaches were trying to do what they were supposed to do in those situations. They seemed very immature and out of control.”
Was it immature and out of control?
“Coaches are supposed to try to stop things from happening and their coaches were actually aggravating and agitating and instigating.”
Talk to Maddon before game?
“I don’t think so. I didn’t yesterday. I like Joe, by the way.”