Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Blake QB Gilmore transfers to Robinson
Posted May 1, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated May 1, 2012 at 06:57 PM
Over the past several years, Robinson football coach Mike DePue says he has seen his share of players transfer out of his district to play at other schools in Hillsborough County.
Wednesday, DePue got a pretty good one to transfer into Robinson when rising senior Zain Gilmore, who passed for 2,139 yards and 20 touchdowns last season at Blake, registered at the Port Tampa school. According to Depue, Gilmore is living with his father and famous Robinson alumnus of the same name within the Robinson district.
In 1997, the elder Zain Gilmore rushed for a then Hillsborough County-record 2,322 yards, scored 29 touchdowns and was named Florida’s “Mr. Football.”
DePue said the younger Gilmore will be in competition with rising senior Vidal Woodruff, who in nine starts last season passed for 564 yards and 10 TDs.
Spring drills begin Wednesday across Hillsborough County.
“We’re going to give (Gilmore) the chance to start but right now, we have a very good quarterback in Vidal,’’ DePue said. “Competition is a good thing and we’re very happy to have it and Zain here at Robinson.”