- Men’s Roster
- Women’s Roster
- Men’s Schedule/Results
- Women’s Schedule/Results
- Men’s Statistics
- Big East Standings
- Live Scoreboard
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Big East may get rare Top 25 snub
Posted Aug 13, 2009 by Brett McMurphy
Updated Aug 13, 2009 at 02:36 PM
When the Associated Press preseason poll is released on Aug. 22, it’s doubtful a Big East team will be ranked in the Top 25.
If so, it will be only the third weekly poll since the league began in 1991 that the Big East is not represented in the AP rankings, according to Chuck Sullivan, the Big East’s director of communications. The Big East also wasn’t represented in the Sept. 24 and Oct. 1 polls in 1995.
If the Big East is blanked in the AP preseason poll, it won’t be from a lack of Big East-based voters. Of the 60 AP voters, five, including myself, cover Big East schools.
The others: Desmond Conner, of the Hartford Courant; Kevin Gorman, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review; Keith Sargeant, of Gannett N.J. Newspapers; and Mitch Vingle, of the Charleston Gazette.
I’ll disclose my preseason ballot on the blog next week, but I will let you know that Florida was my preseason No. 1 and I had two Big East teams in my preseason Top 25: No. 21 Pittsburgh and No. 23 Rutgers.