Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
Berkeley Prep’s Main commits to Auburn
Posted May 7, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated May 7, 2012 at 07:47 PM
Berkeley Prep senior Alex Main, the Class 2A runner-up at last season’s state cross country championships, has made a verbal commitment to Auburn University to accept a preferred walk-on spot.
Main, a first team selection on the Tampa Tribune’s all-Hillsborough County cross country squad, said he was also considering Appalachian State but chose Auburn after two visits there, one unofficial trip in February and another in March.
Not only did Main like the look and feel of the War Eagles’ campus, he said he also felt at ease with coaches Mark Carroll (cross country) and Ralph Spry (track), as well as current team members.
“I really got along well with them while I was there,” Main said. “Coach Spry and Carroll are good coaches and I liked my time with the guys on the team.’‘
Main’s personal bests: 5k—16:00; 3,200—10:16.27; 1,600—4:24.65; 800—2:02.12.