Most Recent Entries
- Rays pick up pitcher in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Land O’ Lakes cross country stars Travis Nichols, Tyler Stahl commit to North Florida
- Beck staying with Longhorns
- Boys Basketball:FABC/Source Hoops Florida State Poll
- No Kloss? It’s baffling
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
Berkeley Prep’s Main commits to Auburn
Posted May 7, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated May 7, 2012 at 07:47 PM
Berkeley Prep senior Alex Main, the Class 2A runner-up at last season’s state cross country championships, has made a verbal commitment to Auburn University to accept a preferred walk-on spot.
Main, a first team selection on the Tampa Tribune’s all-Hillsborough County cross country squad, said he was also considering Appalachian State but chose Auburn after two visits there, one unofficial trip in February and another in March.
Not only did Main like the look and feel of the War Eagles’ campus, he said he also felt at ease with coaches Mark Carroll (cross country) and Ralph Spry (track), as well as current team members.
“I really got along well with them while I was there,” Main said. “Coach Spry and Carroll are good coaches and I liked my time with the guys on the team.’‘
Main’s personal bests: 5k—16:00; 3,200—10:16.27; 1,600—4:24.65; 800—2:02.12.