Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Berkeley Prep captures Academic Team Champion Award - again
Posted May 24, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated May 24, 2012 at 04:37 PM
For the second straight year, Berkeley Preparatory has been named the overall Class 4A “Academic Team Champion” for the 2011-12 school year by the Florida High School Athletics Association.
The Buccaneers earned the award after eight athletic teams earned Academic Team Champion honors during the year. The overall champion in each classification was decided after points were added for each team that earned a top-10 finish in their respective sport.
Ten points where given to teams that had the highest grade point average in their sport and classification. Heading into the spring sports season, the Bucs already had five Academic Team Champions and picked up three more in May with softball (3.82 GPA), boys track (3.54) and boys volleyball (3.78).
The Bucs amassed a total of 172, the highest total of any school in any of the eight classifications. Academy of the Holy Names was third in 4A with 177. Jesuit finished third overall in Class 5A with 83 points, Tampa Prep was ninth in 3A with 48 and Cambridge Christian with 10th in 2A with 20.
Here’s the breakdown of Berkeley Prep’s GPA for each of its eight Academic Team Champions:
Boys cross country: 3.86; boys swimming and diving: 3.74; girls swimming and diving: 3.83; boys basketball: 3.55; girls basketball: 3.74; softball: 3.82; boys track and field: 3.54; boys volleyball: 3.78.