Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Biography takes a deeper look at John Wooden’s basketball wizardry
- Rays V BoSox: Myers update, Fortune Favors the Bald, lineups
- Oviedo arrives and lineups for split-squad Saturday
- Collect call: 2014 Topps Sticker Collection
- Cambridge Christian searching for new AD, boys basketball coach
- Rays @ Braves: Lineups
- Rays v Pirates: Lineups
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Basketball: Gray, Ingram, Sanders, Roberts, Seoane to play in FACA All-Star game
- Panini goes on a basketball Crusade
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
Beckham suffers cut under right eye, out indefinitely
Posted Mar 10, 2013 by Roger Mooney
Updated Mar 10, 2013 at 09:40 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE Rays INF Tim Beckham sustained a laceration under his right eye and received stitches after being struck there by a thrown baseball Friday. He is out indefinitely.
Beckham said he was working on a bunt drill with runners on first and third base when he came across second base to catch a throw. The ball glanced off his mitt and struck him in the face, driving the lens from his sunglasses into his skin.
“Just a freak accident, man, it can happen to anybody,” Beckham said this morning. “Just comes with the territory, I guess, you’re playing baseball. You’re supposed to catch the ball with your glove, not your face.”
Beckham said he is lucky the injury is not more than a deep cut.
“Worst case scenario I could have lost my vision in that eye,” he said. “I prayed on that as I went down. It definitely was a scary situation.”
The Rays have not set a timetable for his return, but Beckham said he doesn’t expect to miss much time.
“A couple of stitches, take a couple of days and hopefully I’ll be ready to rock,” he said.