Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Jays: Cobb looking for 5th win
- FACA Baseball Classic Rosters announced
- Stargell stands tall in biography
- Profar is second Bowman redemption card
- Rays @ Jays: Victoria Day matinee
- Green seeking funds for trip
- Area Athletes Shine at Golden South Classic
- Rays @ O’s: Moore looking to go 8-0, Rays looking for sweep
- Collect call: 2013 Bowman baseball
- Rays @ O’s: Rays on FOX game of the week
- Seffner Christian’s Hanson picks Liberty
- Current Baseball America prospect list boasts five locals
- Rays @ O’s: Hellickson returns to mound to start trip
- Former Newsome tennis standout, Hersh, named POY
- Bishop McLaughlin sophomore OH Alyssa Mathis commits to San Diego State
- Bucs Report -Tribune staff
- Rays Report - Roger Mooney
- Bolts Report - Erik Erlendsson
- Bulls Report
- Prep Report - Hillsborough
- Prep Report - Pasco
- Prep Report - Region
- Prep Report - Recruiting Updates
- Prep Report - Football
- Go Fishing: On The Waterfront
- The Sports Bookie - Bob D'Angelo
- Gators Report - Tribune staff
- Youth Sports Report
- NFL Draft Report
- Go Ask: Frank's Tacklebox
- Bucified Bert Blog
- BUK Power - Bucs Fan Blog
- Pigskin Preacher - NFL Fan Blog
- Breakfast Bonus - Tom McEwen
- Highlands Sports
Beckham, Lee added to Rays 40-man roster
Posted Nov 21, 2012 by Roger Mooney
Updated Nov 21, 2012 at 12:16 AM
The Rays added shortstops Tim Beckham and Hak-Ju Lee and left-handed pitchers Felipe Rivero and Enny Romero to their 40-man roster late Tuesday evening, protecting the four prospects in next month’s Rule 5 draft.
Beckham, 22, spent the 2012 season at Triple-A Durham and hit .256 (73-for-285) with six home runs, 28 RBI and six stolen bases in 72 games. After the season, he was ranked as the Rays No. 8 prospect by Baseball America. The Griffin, Ga., native was drafted No. 1 overall in the 2008 June Draft and has hit .264 over five minor league seasons.
Lee, who turned 22 on Nov. 4, finished his second season in the Rays organization batting .261 (124-for-475) with four home runs, 10 triples, 37 RBI and 37 stolen bases over 116 games for Double-A Montgomery in 2012. Following the season, the Korean shortstop was named the Best Baserunner in the organization by the Rays baseball operations staff and ranked as the No. 1 position player prospect (No. 3 overall) in the Rays system by Baseball America. He was acquired by the Rays after the 2010 season as part of a five-player trade with the Chicago Cubs that included Matt Garza. Over four minor league seasons, he has hit .287 with 127 stolen bases.
Rivero, 21, went 8-8 with a 3.41 ERA (113.1-IP, 43-ER) in 27 appearances (21 starts) at Class-A Bowling Green in 2012. He represented the World Team in the XM Futures Game at Kansas City’s Kauffman Stadium in July. The left-hander has a career 3.47 ERA over four minor league seasons.
Romero, 21, posted a 5-7 record with a 3.93 ERA (126-IP, 55-ER) over 25 appearances (23 starts) at Class-A Charlotte in 2012. The southpaw was teammates with Rivero on the World Team in the XM Futures Game and was ranked as the No. 6 prospect in the Rays organization by Baseball America after the season. He has a career 3.67 ERA and 376 strikeouts in 370 innings pitched over five minor league seasons.