Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Baldelli still on hold
Posted Aug 5, 2008 by Tribune Sports
Updated Aug 6, 2008 at 12:01 PM
Rocco Baldelli showed up at his locker stall still wearing a mangy beard, an immediate sign that he hadn’t been added to the 25-man roster yet. The outfielder has promised to shave once he’s on the team, partly because his parents hate the look.
The Rays can’t activate him yet because with shortstop Jason Bartlett hurt—but not badly enough to go on the disabled list—they needed an infielder who could play immediately. Figure that when Bartlett returns to the lineup, which could happen for Thursday’s game at Seattle, Ben Zobrist will be sent back to Class AAA Durham and Baldelli, who will be used part-time in right field, will get a spot. But that’s only an educated guess.
Here are tonight’s lineups: