Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays v Yankees: Jennings out with groin injury
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
Baldelli still on hold
Posted Aug 5, 2008 by Tribune Sports
Updated Aug 6, 2008 at 12:01 PM
Rocco Baldelli showed up at his locker stall still wearing a mangy beard, an immediate sign that he hadn’t been added to the 25-man roster yet. The outfielder has promised to shave once he’s on the team, partly because his parents hate the look.
The Rays can’t activate him yet because with shortstop Jason Bartlett hurt—but not badly enough to go on the disabled list—they needed an infielder who could play immediately. Figure that when Bartlett returns to the lineup, which could happen for Thursday’s game at Seattle, Ben Zobrist will be sent back to Class AAA Durham and Baldelli, who will be used part-time in right field, will get a spot. But that’s only an educated guess.
Here are tonight’s lineups: