Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
Baldelli still on hold
Posted Aug 5, 2008 by Tribune Sports
Updated Aug 6, 2008 at 12:01 PM
Rocco Baldelli showed up at his locker stall still wearing a mangy beard, an immediate sign that he hadn’t been added to the 25-man roster yet. The outfielder has promised to shave once he’s on the team, partly because his parents hate the look.
The Rays can’t activate him yet because with shortstop Jason Bartlett hurt—but not badly enough to go on the disabled list—they needed an infielder who could play immediately. Figure that when Bartlett returns to the lineup, which could happen for Thursday’s game at Seattle, Ben Zobrist will be sent back to Class AAA Durham and Baldelli, who will be used part-time in right field, will get a spot. But that’s only an educated guess.
Here are tonight’s lineups: