Most Recent Entries
- Panini goes on a basketball Crusade
- Sunlake’s Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers’ 2014 Mr. Soccer
- Rays v Twins: Injury updates and lineups
- Novel explores temptations, ramifications of steroid use
- Rays @ BoSox: Lineups and injury updates
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
Astros pick up ex-Hillsborough standout Burgess
Posted Dec 6, 2012 by djacobs
Updated Dec 6, 2012 at 04:04 PM
Former Hillsborough High baseball standout Michael Burgess was selected Thursday in the Triple-A phase of the Rule 5 Draft by the Houston Astros.
Burgess, who was the 49th overall pick of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft by the Washington Nationals, played in the Chicago Cubs organization last year at Double-A Tennessee. He hit .259 with 10 home runs and 43 RBIs in 332 at-bats.
Burgess must spend the entire 2013 season on the Astros Triple-A or 40-man roster or be offered back to the Cubs for half of the $12,000 purchase price.