Most Recent Entries
- Rays vs Yankees: lineups
- Girls Basketball: Walker, Gregory lead Tampa Bay players on All-State Teams
- A fresh, entertaining look at the 1991 World Series
- Plant’s Donahue signs with UF
- Florida High School Softball State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Brrrrrrrrrr
- Five Berkekey Prep student-athletes to be recognized at signing ceremony Wednesday
- Gulf softball coach Rick Hohenthaner resigns after 12 seasons
- Leaf heads to auction with Manziel predictor packs
- Panini provides a look at 2013-14 Signatures basketball product
- Testaverde leads group of seven Jesuit athletes to sign NLI’s Wednesday
- Florida High School Flag Football State Poll
- Rays @ O’s: Lineups
- Patchan picks Hurricanes
- Recalling an iconic weekend at the Masters
Astros pick up ex-Hillsborough standout Burgess
Posted Dec 6, 2012 by djacobs
Updated Dec 6, 2012 at 04:04 PM
Former Hillsborough High baseball standout Michael Burgess was selected Thursday in the Triple-A phase of the Rule 5 Draft by the Houston Astros.
Burgess, who was the 49th overall pick of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft by the Washington Nationals, played in the Chicago Cubs organization last year at Double-A Tennessee. He hit .259 with 10 home runs and 43 RBIs in 332 at-bats.
Burgess must spend the entire 2013 season on the Astros Triple-A or 40-man roster or be offered back to the Cubs for half of the $12,000 purchase price.