Most Recent Entries
- Boys Basketball: Robinson’s Brown reaches 1,000 career points
- Bucs’ Gholston a finalist for top weekly rookie honors
- Pasco High TE/DL Bowman Archibald picks up two Division I offers
- Girls Basketball: FABC/Source Hoops State Poll
- Land O’ Lakes boys soccer coach Mark Pearson earns 300th career win
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
Armwood’s McCoy commits to Vanderbilt
Posted Jan 30, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Jan 30, 2012 at 08:44 AM
Another standout player on the Armwood’s Class 6A state championship squad is headed to college.
Following an official visit to Vanderbilt University last weekend, offensive tackle Kevin McCoy has made a commitment to the Commodores, Hawks coach Sean Callahan confirmed.
The 6-foot-6, 280-pound McCoy becomes the 11th Armwood player to make a college commitment, joining fellow offensive linemen Cody Waldrop (South Carolina), Cameron Dees (Marshall) and Brandon Teeling (Samford), linebackers Keionne Baines (Akron) and Eric Striker (Oklahoma), defensive linemen Allen Covington (Toledo) and Shelldon Lewinson (Wake Forest), running backs Matt Jones (Florida) and Wade Edwards (Akron) and defensive back Jarvis McCall (South Florida).
For McCoy, it came down to Vandy and the University of Central Florida. But after his trip to Nashville, Tenn., where he was escorted around campus by former Armwood quarterback Josh Grady, a freshman on VU’s squad, McCoy had opted to play his football in the Southeastern Conference. McCoy has been a two-year starter for the Hawks and started every game in this year’s undefeated campaign.