Most Recent Entries
- Manuel signs deal with Panini Authentic
- Panini previews Gold Standard basketball
- Golf: All-Western Conference Teams
- Baseball: Jesuit OF Taylor selects Duke
- Land O’ Lakes defensive standout Shaheed Salmon picks up first offer
- Football: All-Western Conference Teams
- Rays non-tender Fuld
- Chargers WR Allen top rookie in Week 12 voting
- Collect call: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Team and Hopefuls
- Panini’s Totally Certified hockey to debut in February
- Leaf releases some corny inserts
- Volleyball: Berkeley Prep’s Brown a finalist for Miss Volleyball
- Rays 2014 spring training schedule
- Proposal would ease FHSAA penalty for violating “follow the coach” law
- Maddon’s Thanksmas returns for 8th year
Armwood’s Lifghtsey signs with Mercer
Posted Apr 27, 2012 by Bill Ward
Updated Apr 27, 2012 at 05:42 PM
Armwood senior offensive lineman Jack Lightsey has signed with Mercer (Ga.) University, Hawks coach Sean Callahan confirmed Friday.
The 6-foot-3, 275-pound Lightsey, who started in all 15 of Armwood’s games last fall en route to the Class 6A state title, marks something of a milestone for the Hawks because his signing means all five of their squad’s offensive line will be playing college football.
Lightsey, Armwood’s right guard, joins left guard Cody Waldrop (South Carolina), right tackle Kevin McCoy (Vanderbilt), center Cameron Dees (Marshall), and left tackle Brandon Teeling (Samford).
Last fall, Mercer’s board of trustees unanimously approved the return to intercollegiate football for the 2013 season, ending a 70-year hiatus for the sport at the Mercer. The first intercollegiate football game played in the state was between Mercer and the University of Georgia in 1892.
Photo: Armwood’s five offensive linemen who are headed to play college football include (front row, left to right) Jack Lightsey, Cody Waldrop (back row, left to right), Kevin McCoy, Cameron Dees and Brandon Teeling. Photo by SCOTT PURKS/The Tampa Tribune.