Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
- Miracle Sports Florida State Softball Poll: Week 2
- Ramos now a candidate for 5th starters spot
- Rays @ BoSox: Archer’s first start
Aki sacrifices for his country (twice)
Posted Feb 24, 2009 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Feb 24, 2009 at 11:10 AM
PORT CHARLOTTE—Though the Rays don’t open their spring training schedule until tomorrow, games already are being played on the other side of the world.
In an exhibition tuneup for the World Baseball Classic, Japan defeated Australia 8-2 today with some help from Akinori Iwamura. The Rays second baseman drove in a pair of runs with sacrifice flies to help lead his country against a Grant Balfour-less Aussie squad.
Back here, the players are out on the fields for their final workout before Grapefruit League play begins. David Price is among those slated to throw bullpen sessions today. No word yet on when we’ll see him in action in a game situation, though Saturday against the Phillies would be entertaining.