Roger Mooney covers the Tampa Bay Rays for The Tampa Tribune, TBO.com and News Channel 8. He has covered the Rays since their first season in 1998, including 11 years for the Bradenton Herald. Roger has also covered Florida, South Florida and Florida State football, the Bucs and the Lightning.
Most Recent Entries
- Rays @ Yankees: Notes and lineups
- Update on Peralta’s neck
- Rays v Pirates: Moore on the bump, McClung on the bus
- Plant coach Roy Harrison elected to FHSAA Hall of Fame
- Volleyball: Freedom’s Schaller signs with Eckerd
- Five athletes at Strawberry Crest to play at next level
- Sunlake F Remi Pimm named Florida Dairy Farmers State 3A Player of the Year
- Anclote volleyball coach Chris Vergnaud steps down to join PHSC staff
- Hillsborough County’s top seniors take court tonight in TBBCA All-Star game
- Gregory, Corbett, Sanders, Childs, Channer to play in FABC state all-star basketball game
- Rays prepare for raining day - Price now pitching sim game in Port Charlotte
- A year-by-year look at Wrigley Field
- Leaf previews classic designs in Originals football
- All-Western Conference Cheerleading
- Rays v NYY: Ramos makes his pitch
Aki, Bartlett both due tomorrow
Posted Jun 24, 2008 by Marc Lancaster
Updated Jun 24, 2008 at 06:18 PM
MIAMI—It’ll be a busy day for the Rays’ double play combo tomorrow. Jason Bartlett will catch an early flight back to Tampa to be with his wife as she gives birth to their first child. And sometime around noon, Aki Iwamura will have his appeal hearing with MLB via teleconference or videoconference.
Bartlett said he expects to miss the next two days and already has a plane ticket to Pittsburgh for Friday morning. It sounds like Iwamura probably will have to wait a day or two to find out whether MLB buys his argument for a reduction in the three-game suspension he was handed a couple of weeks ago. If that’s the case, the Rays should be able to get by without too much trouble. Ben Zobrist, who is here after a morning flight from Raleigh, will start at short the next two days.
In other news, Jonny Gomes is the lineup and will be again Wednesday against Mark Hendrickson. And Matt Garza will be pulling for his Fresno State Bulldogs to even out the best-of-three College World Series final tonight against my Georgia Bulldogs. Fear the Hair of Gordon Beckham!
And finally, we have word from Montgomery that Jake McGee has been placed on the DL with a left elbow strain. He left his start Sunday after two innings complaining of soreness in his forearm.